Hard to believe I've been using my RK drum since 2004 and it is still as great as day one. In looking for information for a friend and having been away from the site for several years I was amazed to see the progress made. I saw the new drum latch and had to have it. It arrived last week but only got around to installing it today. I had to roast some almonds for some Custom Crafted chocolate I make.
Just to let you know that I finally got my cooling stand put together, burned in the drum and did my first roast this evening on the patio. I was concerned about being able to hear the cracks (coming from using an iRoast2 that was an issue for me). I had my wife standing by to make sure I didn't miss the sounds. I needn't have worried. The sounds of First Crack were loud enough to be heard on the other side of the back yard. I backed the temp off a bit and let her coast. The first time trying to control the temperature is kind of like trying to back up an 18-wheeler but we managed just fine. I was going to pull at the first sign of 2nd crack and I overshot a few seconds but oh, well. The cooling stand worked great and for the maiden voyage of my RK Drum, I am very pleased. The rest will come with experience.
Thank you, Ron. We're off and running. Now if I could only find someplace I could lay my hands on some more of that Brazil Fazenda Ipanema "Dulce" that Tom and Maria had!! A number of my friends just rave about that one and I have only a small amount left. I'll know better next time to lay in a good supply when I find a great bean like that one. Of course, SM has many great beans.
My search for "larger quantity, more control" has ended. The smallish popper batches were getting bothersome. I tried HG/DB, but the gun I had did not move enough air and my roasts were flat. But, the quantity was nice.
Given the investment in a better gun, this would be a great method. But I
went for the RK drum. It arrived today. I quickly cleaned, prepped and rushed to the gas grill
to "burn" some UGH! My old Charbroil 3 RPM motor is pretty clunky, but I couldn't wait. I did order Ron's motor, but it is not ready to ship. I roasted 4 test batches of 150 gr. each; Ethiopian Harrar FC+, Java Estate Prince FC+, Guatemala Huehuetanango FC+ and SM Donkey V. I wanted the
Harrar at FC, but just wasn't quick enough getting the drum off and emptied!
I am very happy with the roast control. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to hear the cracks. Not a problem!! Now to let the coffee rest & taste!! My stash has been diminished by the simple capacity of the drum!! The drum is a work of industrial art! It is truly a pleasure to use!
Got the drum up and running on the weekend here.
Eased into it with a 1.5kg (3.3 lbs) roast of Peru Ceja de Selva followed by 1.8kg (4lbs) of Bolivian Green Mountain.
Very happy with the results of the first 2.
A very short pictorial review of the first roast can be seen in: